The story of Half Man Half Biscuit began in the bath in Birkenhead in 1984, where singer, guitarist and songwriter Nigel Blackwell first dreamt up the name, soon to be 'borrowed' for a song title by fellow Wirral punks Instant Agony. Together with his brother Simon Blackwell on guitar, Neil Crossley on bass and Paul Wright on drums, a demo tape was made for the Skeleton label, but this was 'intercepted' by Probe Plus boss Geoff Davies, and he signed them to his label.

Recording began on their debut LP, during which keyboard player David Lloyd joined the fold. The resultant Back In The D.H.S.S. LP (1985) was picked up on by Radio 1 DJ and champion of the so-called "indie scene" John Peel, who delighted in the savage mockery of minor British celebrities, all wrapped up in tales of the everyday tedium that is life on the dole. The LP became the biggest-selling independent record of 1986.

The band split in 1987, reformed in 1990 and are still performing, although only Neil and Nige remain of the original line-up.

Discography:
Back In The DHSS(1985)
Back Again In The DHSS(1987)
ACD(1988)
McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt(1991)
This Leaden Pall(1993)
Some Call it Godcore(1995)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Road(1997)
Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral(1998)
Trouble Over Bridgwater(2000)

Source: albums and Virgin Encyclopedia of 20th Century Music.
Quote: "There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro." Nigel Blackwell 1986.