Nälkä on paras mauste.

-- Traditional Finnish proverb

...or, to put it another way, food tastes better when you're hungry. Innocent enough an observation, you might think, but like many old Finnish proverbs this takes on a bit of extra meaning in the light of history. Famine was not an uncommon occurrence in the bad old days, e.g. in the years 1695-1697 over one third of Finland's population starved to death. The 1868 famine killed about 10% (some 270,000 people), and even as late as 1941-42 (during World War II) malnutrition due to extreme food rationing killed off the weak, the sick and not a few prisoners of war. The rationing continued for years after the war as Finland struggled to rebuild its devastated economy, and luxuries such as spices and meat were way down on the priority list: kids might complain about cabbage soup 7 times a week, but their parents knew that it still beat the alternative.

Another frugal people, the Japanese, have a similar saying: Kuufuku ni mazui mono nashi ("with an empty stomach nothing tastes bad"). SharQ informs me that the Dutch version is Honger maakt rouwe bonen zoet ("Hunger makes raw beans taste sweet").

Since I'm sure just about every language on the planet has its own version of this proverb, no further additions will be accepted unless I feel like it.