Socialization is the process through which an individual's pattern of behavior and their values, attitudes and motives, are shaped to conform with those seen as desirable in a particular organization, society or subculture.

Buchanan & Huczynski, Organizational Behaviour (1997)

The price of membership in an organization is the loss of some personal freedom of action, and the process of learning exactly what is expected, customary and accepted is known as socialization or social learning. Albert Bandura demonstrated that new behaviors are learned through observing and copying the behavior of others, in the absence of rewards or punishments.

A newcomer socializes largely through trial and error, as usually most of an organization's standards and code of conduct are not explicitly spelled out. Usually, reinforcement (see behavioral psychology) of proper behavior happens on its own, as co-workers and superiors offer material and symbolic rewards for 'learning the ropes'. Still, Buchanan and Huczynski suggest some guidelines for easing the process:

  1. The trainee must be motivated to learn.
  2. The task to be learned should be divided into meaningful segments for which performance standards can be established.
  3. Trainees should be given clear, frequent and appropriate feedback on their performance and progress.
  4. Focus on rewarding appropriate behavior, because punishment does not tell trainees what they are doing wrong or what they have to do to improve.
  5. Concurrent feedback is more effective than delayed feedback.
back to organizational behavior

References

Buchanan, David and Andrzej Huczynski. Organizational Behaviour, pp. 122-125.