The phrase "Keys to the Kingdom" originates from its association with Jesus' disciple Peter. During a pop quiz following a magic trick, Peter guessed correctly, and Jesus awarded him with this speech from Matthew 16: "And I will give unto thee the keys to the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." It's quite an item of power!

Peter's image in reproduction is often seen holding a key or keys, and a view from the dome of St. Peter's Basilica over the square shows the key shape.

Secularly, "Keys to the Kingdom" was used by Disneyland as the name for tickets that could be used for any ride in its 'Magic Kingdom'. Only employees could buy these (and later members of a club); they were discontinued in the early 1980s when unlimited general admission was put into place. Recently, the Disney World resort in Florida has co-opted this phrase as the title to a four hour tour, which takes people through the disabled person's lines onto rides, and down into the grubby corridors employees use to get between areas of the park.

People also use the phrase to describe a set of keys to their house or a locker holding items of power that bind or loose like cuffs, booze, pills or magic mushrooms.