words said offhand, in passing
can resonate so deep.

He said if you're going to pass someone,
do it promptly. don't hesitate.
get around them and move on.

The canyons of memory carry the deepest echoes. Every paradigm shift and revelation we experience is something to be thankful for. This is our evolution. These are thresholds and milestones representing opportunities for us to become better. I believe that's the only qualification to being a good person:  the will to become a better person.

He said you can learn from anyone.
even if you find them stupid,
or look down on them for whatever reason,
there is something valuable to be learned from each and every person.

And for all these moments, there is usually a voice behind them. We have to be thankful as well for the people who have shown us a new perspective. Remember them if there should come a time when they are no longer part of our lives. It's not so difficult to remember them, considering the impact they've had on us. But it's important.

He said we just needed to stretch our legs is all.


"Old man look at my life. I'm a lot like you were."

He said don't be scared, be careful.


If you feel as though you have nothing to give, you're wrong. So long as there's time, you can teach. You can't be over-modest to the point that you underestimate your ability to give. Humility can be just as self-serving as arrogance if you don't know how to steer the ship. If you don't know when to drop anchor.

He said to travel light.
be sure to take as much as you can in one trip.
I looked up, after the fact,

to tell him how much it meant to me.


and no I don't really believe he heard me.
but a message never received is still better
than a message never sent.

 

February, 2022