Some facts about C.S. Lewis and his work:

    He never married until he was nearly 60 years old.
    His only wife, Joy Davidman, was a Jewish-American divorcee, with a son (Douglas Gresham) from her previous marriage.
    His nickname "Jack" stemmed from a childhood irritation at his given names "Clive Staples" and his further insistence, "He is called Jacksie." (His older brother Warner was alread known as "Warnsie")
    While at Cherbourg School in England, Lewis "evidenced an increasing affection for "Northernness"" e.g. Wagner's music and Norse mythology. It was during this time that he abandoned his childhood Christian faith.
    From May 2 until November 28 1941, The Guardian published 31 "Screwtape Letters" in weekly installments. Lewis was paid 2 pounds sterling for each letter and gave the money to charity.
    Lewis died on Friday, November 22, 1963. This same day, American president John F. Kennedy was assassinated and Aldous Huxley died.
    Pseudonyms used during his career: "Clive Hamilton" (1919, 1926); "N.W. Clerk" (1961).
    He was discharged from the military in December 1918. His former roommate and friend, Paddy Moore was killed in battle and buried in the field just south of Peronne, France. In 1919, the February issue of "Reveille" contained "Death in Battle," Lewis' first publication in other than school magazines.
    Two movies were made on the life of C.S. Lewis: A BBC TV version of "Shadowlands" in 1985, starring Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom; and a 1993 Hollywood re-make with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger (!).
    Three television adaptations were made of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" in 1967, 1979 and 1988.
    A new film version of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" is set to be produced in Hobsonville, Auckland, New Zealand. Andrew Adamson of Shrek fame will be directing almost all of the film at the Hobsonville Airbase and the Defence Quarters located there.
    "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" will feature a largely American cast and production is to start sometime next year, with a December 2005 release for the USA. Special Effects Studio WETA, who have done all effects for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy will do effects for TLTWATW.
    Recipe for Turkish Delight (mentioned in TLTWATW):

  • 5 Tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon rosewater (or lemon juice)
  • 2 cups pistachios (or other nuts, if you like)
  • powdered sugar
  • mix corn starch with cold water
    set aside
    bring hot water, sugar, and OJ to a boil
    add corn starch
    simmer for 15 minutes
    STIR OFTEN
    remove from heat, add lemon juice and
    flavoring (whatever you choose)
    stir in nuts
    pour into buttered pan
    when cooled and thickened (be patient!)
    cut into 1 inch cubes with knife dipped in hot water
    and roll in powdered sugar.


    Sources:
    http://www.cslewis.drzeus.net
    http://www.presqaco.host.sk/news/narnia.html
    http://www.imdb.com
    and a bio I read of him about 15 years ago, can't remember
    the title (still researching it!)