An unfortunate Chicagoan and Cubs fan who, while attending game 6 in the 2003 National League Championship Series, made the mistake of leaning out of the bleachers and catching a ball hit by a member of the Florida Marlins baseball team that seconds later would have wound up in the glove of Cubs outfielder Moises Alou.

It seemed as though the entire city turned on poor Steve (with the exception of the fans of the city's other baseball team, the Chicago White Sox). It is said that Florida Governor (and brother of the president) Jeb Bush offered Bartman amnesty in the state of Florida (the governor of Illinois, meanwhile, was heard saying some not very kind things at all about Bartman). A condo development in Miami also offered him space in case he needed to get out of the Windy City.

On Fox News, Steve Bartman attempted to clear the air by releasing this statement,

"There are few words to describe how awful I feel... I've been a Cub(s) fan all my life and fully understand the relationship between my actions and the outcome of the game. I had my eyes glued on the approaching ball the entire time and was so caught up in the moment that I did not even see Moises Alou, much less that he may have had a play. Had I thought for one second that the ball was playable or had I seen Alou approaching I would have done whatever I could to get out of the way and give Alou a chance to make the catch.

To Moises Alou, the Chicago Cubs organization, Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, and Cub(s) fans everywhere I am so truly sorry from the bottom of this Cubs fan's broken heart. I ask that Cub(s) fans everywhere redirect the negative energy that has been vented towards my family, my friends, and myself into the usual positive support for our beloved team on their way to being National League champs."