To begin with, I want to apologize for yesterday's torrent of adolescent nihilist rant about how the world is against me. Update The world has not singled me out for abuse. I am a whiner.

Yoon and I had our 2.5 year anniversary dinner last night at what may be the perfect place for dates with someone you've been with for a long time and intend to marry. The inference here is that you want to be comfy, not spend an obscene amount of money, and still manage to feel like you're doing something "special." We ended up at this restaurant that we had assumed to be a yuppie nightmare but was actually just nice and reasonably priced. I think part of growing up is realizing that not only have your radical ideas occurred to others but most of them are based on really bad information. Anyway, we had a good time and I had this sage chicken dish with a sauce that filled me up before I'd finished the bird. Yeah.

In philosophy class we spent a good deal of time talking about the similarities between Plato's Allegory of the Cave and The Matrix. It seemed like a fairly obvious parallel to me but my fellow students were mesmerized by my professor's pop culture fluency. It is a good way to explain the allegory but not exactly a quantum leap in teaching methods. When kids start college is it just a slow process of pulling their heads out of their asses or is there really something magical about that summer that divides high school and college? I have no idea but the kids I am in classes with seem to be easily amused. I think a shiny object class may be in order.

Still working on a paper about Watergate and the precedent set by that fiasco both for constitional interpretation and political scandal. The more I read the more I am convinced that the memory of Watergate has been largely erased from the collective memory of joe average American. It seems like few people really remember the more sketchy events of that period. Ford's quick draw pardon of Richard Nixon is just one of them that evades notice at least from a historical perspective. The more I read the less I really know. That may be the ultimate result of doing too much research - the realization that you don't really understand the question. It is humbling. Once I started digging into Congressional documents I was totally overwhelmed by the scope of Watergate. I should not be surprised by the general disinterest in the subject but it just seems too huge to ignore. My radical ideas about the apathy of the American public have already occurred to others.