I may have been disappointed in the results of The 2004 U.S. Presidential Election. However, I am not disappointed in the American people as a whole.

I was not eligible to vote because I'm a Canadian citizen of course, but I watched the US election closely because of issues like fair use, Microsoft and the Department of Justice, Carnivore and a few others that directly related to my job in computer security. I believe the majority of American voters disagree with my views on these and many other issues.

However, and this is important to me, I was pleased with the American people as a whole. I am pleased that there was a decisive win for George W. Bush, that Senator John Kerry conceded defeat gracefully, and that this election was not decided by a court of law.

Most of all, I am pleased that over sixty percent of eligible voters exercised their rights.1 Though I may disagree with over fifty-nine million American citizens, I am grateful that over one-hundred-million American citizens, out of at least one-hundred-eighty million eligible to vote, did so. It was a good showing.

Obligatory Blame Canada Rant: The other fifty-five-point-eight million Americans and their families are welcome here. :-) Just make sure you don't vote for another Stockwell Day after you become citizens. He's much worse than Bush. Trust me.

1. http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/president/