Sources: http://vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=56&page=1 along with the rest of vmyths.com

The short name for the Computer Virus Myths home page, originally at kumite.com.

The original author Rob Rosenberger, and Crypt Newsletter editor George C. Smith, founded vmyths.com in 2000 using Rosenberger's original kumite.com virus myths database, maintained since 1995.

VMyths is unique among computer security sites in that it refuses computer security advertising. According to Rosenberger, they didn't want to promote the very virus hysteria they seek to end. It is also unique in its liberal use of humor throughout the site. They use comedy as a weapon against the fearmongers and hysteria-mongers which not only entertains the reader, but opens their eyes to their absurdity in the process. They especially want readers to identify, and avoid, false authority syndrome which is the cause of most hysterical virus alerts.

The website contains a searchable index of virus hoaxes, misconceptions about real viruses, and other hysteria that visitors can use to help determine if a virus alert is real or not. They also provide links to external databases to perform additional searches. Vmyths wants the reader to avoid forwarding virus alerts, and in fact has a special e-mail address: HoaxFYI@vmyths.com, for readers to forward virus alerts, to track trends in virus hysteria.

Because they avoid computer security advertising, VMyths encourages readers to buy merchandise to raise funds. These items include comedy albums on compact disc, virus hysteria clothing ("Dismantle the Internet for national security reasons!"), and even donation items ("This t-shirt cost me $99.99 and it's worth every penny!")