Today I set up the team for our department for our company's mass-participation in the Relay for Life. This year it's being held the first weekend of June, and I'm taking my kids with me (they'll likely sleep through most of it in the tents, but I want them to see the main event).

If you've never participated, it's worth the go. The premise is your team of up to 10 people must have at least one person walking round the track they have set up for the entirety of the night - 12 hours of walking altogether. You can take turns, walk together, whatever - the point is to spend one night taking that long walk round the track and honor those who have travelled so very long and hard to battle cancer. There is fun and food and ceremonies and the lighting of the luminary bags (which is just gorgeous at night and lights up the track) and the Survivors' Walk which is just awe-inspiring.

Cancer is a bit of a big deal for me, as quite a few members of my family (on both mother and father's side) have either succeeded against it or succumbed to it at some point in their lives. Seeing those sorts of odds stacked against me inspires me to participate, but moreso I am wanting to dedicate this year's participation to a member of our department who recently beat ovarian cancer. She's such a strong woman and it's inspiring to work with someone who's lived through such a tough thing and come out on top.

I'm looking forward to this, and I'm looking forward to showing my kids what it's all about.