There was this stable hand, see, and his kid was doing her math homework one day while he was mucking out the stalls. But she was having a little trouble.

"Daddy," she says, "what's 128 divided by 8?"

Of course he didn't get that job for his math skills. While he's still working it out, one of the horses stomps all 4 feet 4 times each.

The little girl and the stable hand are both amazed that the horse could figure this out, let alone so quickly. Anyway, after they polish off the homework assignment, the guy decides to take the horse down to the local college and see how smart it really is.

Calculus, physics, computer science. It aces them all. By then there is a pretty large group of people following the horse around and making suggestions. Somebody asks if it knows anything but science, so they take it across the campus to the humanities building, but of course, it is after 3 and all the class rooms are empty, and most of the faculty have gone home.

While the stable hand is off looking for someone to quiz the horse, it wanders into an empty room. There on the chalkboard is written "I think, therefor I am."

The horse looks at it for a while, absorbs what it says, and then lets out this horrible whinny - almost a scream - and falls over, dead.

Of course everyone is horrified that the world's smartest horse just died in this class room, and about the time they start wondering how to get a dead horse out of a room, an old wizened, grizzled philosophy professor walks in.

He looks at the board.

He looks at the horse.

He looks at the people and says (in a thick german accent) "You fools. You utter, utter fools. You never put Des Cartes before Des Horse!"