Most of the songs on this, the Counting Crows first major label release are pretty melancholy, almost depressing.. sometimes aching is nice. I've listened to these tracks so many times that I can hear them from start to finish in my head if I so desire. I've cried more times than I care to remember whilst listening to Anna Begins, Raining in Baltimore, it's just one of those albums that reflects certain aspects of my life pretty nicely.

It was released on September 14, 1993. All songs were written by Adam Duritz, though some are partially credited to others as well.

Track Listing:

1. Round Here
2. Omaha
3. Mr. Jones
4. Perfect Blue Buildings
5. Anna Begins
6. Time and Time Again
7. Rain King
8. Sullivan Street
9. Ghost Train
10. Raining in Baltimore
11. A Murder of One

I've heard people say that Duritz laments far too much in most all of these lyrics. Perhaps that's why it appeals to me so, and why sometimes I simply can't listen to it at all. (The times when it can't work would be those when my spirits are higher than they dare to venture on a regular basis and my urge to listen dies.) Sometimes loud (almost abusive), always potent sound that I might become if I could just push myself hard enough. I've always thought this was one of those standards, those albums that everyone owns.