Well, Bobby Knight is now the basketball coach for Texas Tech University in Lubbock. The general consensus is that the hiring works for both Knight and the university -- Tech has a poor team, a large arena that's often empty, and subscribes to the ridiculous belief that having a good basketball team will suddenly make the university attractive as a place of study. For Knight, Tech is a team in a big conference (the Big 12) that's desperate enough to take on his, ahem, baggage.

One addition -- Knight's first press conference as a Red Raider was held in this large basketball arena, which attracted about 8,000 students who had nothing better to do than cheer their new savior. Having this fan base made the press conference much more interesting than they normally are; whenever Knight heard questions from the media he did not like (i.e., about Neil Reed), he appealed to the fans like a Roman Emperor. "Should I answer this?" he would ask. "BOOOOO!" the fans yelled. It was totally unprofessional and totally hilarious.

Knight's nickname at Indiana University was "The General." Since he now seems to be the dictator of Lubbock, I say that his new nickname is "The Generalissimo." Perhaps he can wear a white military suit with gratuitous medals.