A Women's National Basketball Association team in Minneapolis. The Lynx joined the league as an expansion team in 1999, and in three season they have never made the playoffs or finished the season with a winning record.

The Lynx' best player is shooting guard Katie Smith, a former American Basketball League player who was allocated to the Lynx after that league folded. Smith led the WNBA in scoring with 23.1 points per game in 2001, but that was as much an indictment of the Lynx' offense than proof of Smith's talents. The Lynx stank in 2001, shooting 39 percent from the field, and Smith was counted on too often to be the savior. For the Lynx to improve, other players need to pick up the slack.

That job falls to Svetlana Abrosimova, a rookie power forward in 2001 from the University of Connecticut. Abrosimova can score — she had 13.2 ppg in 2001 — but she only connected on 38.9 percent of her shots, which is very bad for a post player (although she does sometimes play away from the basket). She'll need to fix that in 2002.

Other key Lynx players are 2002 rookie center Tamika Williams, another UConn grad; Kristi Harrower, the point guard by default after Betty Lennox was traded to the Miami Sol; and the small forwards, a rotating bunch that includes Georgia Schweitzer, Lynn Pride and Tamara Moore.

The Lynx have been coached by Brian Angler since their inception. They play in the Target Center, sharing the facility with the NBA Minnesota Timberwolves.

Sources:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/1296/2857153.html
http://www.startribune.com/stories/1296/2859254.html
http://www.wnba.com/