Members: Darius Rucker- Vocals/guitar
Mark Bryan- Guitar
Dean Felber- Bass
Jim 'Soni' Sonefeld- Drums

Despite their self-confessedly awful name (inspired by two college friends), Hootie And The Blowfish became a phenomenon, their uncomplicated Southern Rock refined on independent releases Hootie And The Blowfish, Time (both 1991) and Kootchypop (1993). The best of these formed their Atlantic debut Cracked Rear View (1994), which- reinforced by hearty hit 'Hold My Hand' and relentless touring- became a mega-platinum monster.

The band joined all-star casts on 1995's movie soundtrack White Man's Burden (with Roy Orbison's 'Sweet Dream Baby'), the Led Zeppelin tribute Encomuim (with 'Hey Hey What Can I Do') and TV soundtrack Friends (with 80s alternative act 54-40's 'I Go Blind'); and were name-checked in the latter- Courtney Cox's character explaining a backstage-bestowed lovebite as 'the work of a Blowfish'. The Blowfish also established their own Breaking Records label.

However, in 1996 Fairweather Johnson- despite yielding the engaging hit 'The Old Man And Me', having its release promoted with an MTV Unplugged Session and topping the US chart in its first week- sold less spectacularly. When The Dave Matthews Band became the newest torch-carriers for rootsy Rock. the Blowfish retreated to plan a comeback.

Sources:Hootie! How the Blowfish Put The Pop Back Into Pop Rock
Fishco
www.hootie.com