Once battle-hardened by Australian pub gigs, the six-strong INXS remained unchanged after conventing as The Farriss Brothers. They first used their new name in 1979 and released INXS in 1980. Their relentless road campaign- Una Brilliante Band De Musica Amenizara Espectaculo Tour- sent Underneath The Colours (1981) and Shabooh Shoobah (1982) up their homeland chart.

They arrived in America in 1983: 'The One Thing' became an MTV favourite, unhindered by vocalist Michael Hutchence's gorgeousness. Their takeover continued with high-profile shows, a mini-album of Shabooh remixes (1983's Dekadance) and work with Chic production whiz Nile Rogers. This resulted in The Swing (1984): a double-platinum Australian No.1, from which 'Original Sin' took them tantalizingly close to a major international breakthrough. When boosted by their Live Aid slot and translantic hit 'What You Need', Listen Like Thieves (1985) did the trick, breaching the UK Top 50 and going platinum Stateside. During a brief break, Michael Hutchence starred in Australian underground movie Dogs In Space (1986), scoring a solo hit with the soundtrack's 'Rooms For The Memory'. Guitar player and keyboardist Andrew and Jon Farriss produced Australian stars Jenny Morris and Richard Clapton respectively. The band's activities resumed for global gargantuan Kick (1987). 'Devil Inside', 'Need You Tonight' (No. 1), 'New Sensation', and 'Never Tear Us Apart' were US smashes, while 'Mystify' became one of their biggest and best-loved UK hits.

More individual ventures- including Huchence's Max Q (1989) album and role in Frankenstein Unbound (1990)- preceded the reconvened band's X (1990). Led by the hit 'Suicide Blonde'- inspired by Hutchence's girlfriend Kylie Minogue- the album rode Kick's coat-tails to platinum status. Their X Factor World Tour culminated in the Wembley Stadium extravaganza Summer XS. Their triumphant Live Baby Live (1991) capped a celebratory year.

Although they remained stars in Australia and Europe, their American profile plummeted. Their sumptuous Welcome To Wherever You Are (1992) was a deserved UK No.1, but failed even to match X's measly million Stateside. By the time of Full Moon, Dirty Hearts, (1993), Hutchence's new love, supermodel Helena Christensen, was more newsworthy, and a tabloid feeding frenzy ensued when she gave way to Bob Geldof's ex, Paula Yates. The Greatest Hits (1994) filled the long silence before Elegantly Wasted (1997), which took none of the risks of its immediate predecessors.

Michael had been working on a solo album with producer and Gang Of Four guitarist Andy Gill when, at the beginning of INXS's 20th anniversary tour, he was found hanging by a belt in his hotel room- a sad end for a man and band who had always infused their Rock 'n' Roll cliches with fresh sparkle.

Sources: INXS: The Official Inside Story Of A Band On The Road
What You Need