Leah in Germany - 13 Jan 2001

Saturday was a lovely day. I woke up in the morning and had a nice bath. While taking the bath, I realized that something was not quite right. It took me a minute to put my finger on it. Then it came to me in a flash: no matter how much hot water you seem to use, it never runs out and gets cold. This seemed strange to me. For a while I was thinking that perhaps the German people in Nuremberg had some kind of superior water heator technology. I certainly had not noticed this trend in Pfaffenhofen. After some research into the matter, Marc informed me that it is not just superior radiator technology. In fact, there is a heat exchange that runs through the city of Nuremberg. The hot water used for cooling the power plant is piped throught the city through this huge heat exchange, which basically means anyone on this system has unlimited hot water. What a great deal!

I took off in the afternoon with Marc in hopes of accomplishing many goals. First, we went to grab coffee and some sort of snack, so that we would be able to make it until lunch. After that, I wanted to buy food, so I went grocery shopping. It is a bad idea to buy food when you are hungry, that is for sure. I bought: a green pepper, tomatoes, oranges, apples, dried apricots, bread, cheese, pretzels, coffee, and chocolate. Then we dropped it all off at the apartment and I grabbed my money. We went to the train station, which is conveniently located quite close to the company flat, to buy a ticket for me to use to go the Bamberg with Michael Radziej (a network guy at SuSE) the next day. I had to change my money first, so I exchanged 200 more USD for DM's. After all of that, we headed off to try and find Mario, to go to lunch, so we were off to the red-light district! Mario, unfortunately, was not at home when we got there, so we went to eat without him. We ate at a strange German fish place. (I didn't feel so good after the fish.) We went walking around Nuremberg and saw the nice cathedral, and the castle (or part of it). There is really quite a nice view from the top of the castle. I want to live in one of the towers . . .

After roaming around for a bit, I still wasn't feeling that great, so I went home for a while and took a nice nap, had a bath, ate some salz sticks, and read my book. I found out about the earthquake in Central America, when I turned on the news waiting for Marc to stop by for Supper. I am a little worried, because I have some friends down in El Salvador and Guatemala. I have no way to get in contact with them, so I just have to hope they are okay, or still in Indiana on vacation.

Marc finally showed up, and we went to a nice Italian place for dinner. I was feeling a lot better at that point, and the food was quite good.