The Universtity of Manchester, situated on Oxford Road in my favourite city in the UK.

History
The Universtity of Manchester started in 1851 as Owens College in the house of Richard Cobden on Quay Street after John Owen, a textiles merchant, bequest £96,942 to be used "for the purpose of founding a college for the education of males on non-sectarian lines."
It moved to its current location on Oxford Road in 1873 and granted its Royal Charter in 1880 (it became a University) and named as the Victoria University, along with the colleges of Leeds and Liverpool. These Universities were granted independence from each other in 1903 and the Victoria University of Manchester was created.

Faculties
There are over 70 departments in the University in the following faculties:

Interesting Facts:

  • The Unversity operates the Jodrell Bank Observatory
  • The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy has links with 10 different hospitals, including MRI. It is also one of the largest faculties of its kind in Europe.
  • The university contains over 3'600'000 books and 1'000'000 manuscripts.
  • There are over 18'000 full time students from over 120 countries.
  • Student accomodation facilities are shared with UMIST.

Achievements at the University of Manchester

  • Rutherford first split the atom here.
  • The first stored program computer was built here.
  • The largest steerable radio telescope was built here.
  • The worlds first body scanner was built here.

www.man.ac.uk