The insidious nature of these CDs are ones that aren't immediatly apparent, until you've had children, cliche though that may be.

Here's my main problem with them: This CD, and other advertisments like it are advertised during prime pre-kindergarten television shows. Shows like DragonTales, Rugrats, Clifford The Big Red Dog - e.g.shows that are meant really meant for ages 3 - 5. I don't have a problem with Kidz Bop per se, but I do have a problem with continual trend of robbing children of their childhood.

By this, I mean that the Kidz Bop CDs are ones that should be marketed towards 8 - 10 year olds, the group now called preadolescent. But instead, those kids are the ones that Britney Spears and Mandy Moore is being marketed to, whereas formerly, the teen bubble gum stars would have been marketed to, well, teens. Interesting random statistic: the average age of a Britney Spears CD buyer was *10*. That disturbs me, for some reason.

But as the marketing has changed, what we've accomplished is the essential the down-aging of marketing. What used to be for older kids is moved down about three years, and the net result is that I have my now four year old, having seen those damn commericals seeing: "Oops, I did it again...I played with your heart...Got lost in the game...word word word...I'm not that innocent."

I asked her why she was singing that. Her simple answer: "The big kids in the commerical sing it, so it looks good."

And therein lies why I've now taught her how to use TiVo, so we don't see commericials, except at extraordinary high speed. If I can somehow acquire a ReplayTV 4000, I won't have even have to see them at all. Peace will reign, and innocence perserved.