Found on The Proclaimers' multi-platinum-selling album of the same name (Sunshine On Leith, 1988, Chrysalis Records). Along with Letter From America, Sunshine On Leith is probably the most popular song among fans. If all you have heard of The Proclaimers is 500 Miles, then you should forget that before reading these lyrics. Imagine instead a slow, country-tinged waltz. It is a deep, soulful story of finding love after heartbreak. A tried-and-true formula perhaps, but this song makes me tear up every single time I hear it. It is packed full of emotions, heartfelt honesty and old-fashioned romance and makes me want to be worthy of someone saying these same words to me.

Sunshine On Leith
The Proclaimers

My heart was broken
My heart was broken
Sorrow   
Sorrow  
Sorrow 
Sorrow
My heart was broken
My heart was broken
You saw it
You claimed it
You touched it
You saved it

My tears are drying
My tears are drying
Thankyou
Thankyou
Thankyou
Thankyou
My tears are drying
My tears are drying
Your beauty
and kindness
Made tears clear
my blindness

While I'm worth
my room on this earth
I will be with you
While the Chief
puts sunshine on Leith
I'll thank him
for his work
And your birth
and my birth


On November 12, 2003 The Proclaimers played a concert in Melbourne. After the gig, they signed some autographs and met with fans, so being the natural E2 geekling child that I am, I asked Charlie (one of the two spectacle-clad twins) The Proclaimers' policy on people posting their lyrics on the web. I explained what E2 is and that I have written up Sunshine On Leith, and his reply was "We have no problem with it whatsoever, go right ahead, it sounds great!" This is an unorthodox form of gaining permission, but I hope it's good enough.

GrouchyOldMan says re Sunshine On Leith: Hey, I'm buyin what you're sellin. Mo betta if you can get it in writing, but Bones sez "Trust thy noders." So go ahead and add the CST Approved tag. :-)