Herbert, who calls himself H-Dog, is actually a complex character who may be underestimated by his readers because of the foul-mouthed jive he uses to express himself. Unlike the cyclical rut in which fellow Onion columnist Jim Anchower is stuck, Kornfeld's character has clearly evolved as he faces the upcoming trials and tribulations of fatherhood.

H-Dog is a truly loyal employee at Midstate Office Supply, where he serves as Accounts Receivable Supervisor. Time and again, he has complained about his incompetent co-workers, but not the job itself. Quite a feat, considering that H-Dog used to steal office supplies in his days as a delinquent accounting student. In "The Autobiography of Herbert K", he explains how all of that changed after the unlicensed "street accountant" CPA-ONE mentored the wayward Kornfeld on business and life as well.

Now on his own, an older, wiser Herbert Kornfeld is at a crossroads in life. As a supervisor, Kornfeld faces political issues of management that are above and beyond his own substantial personal workload. Somehow, though, he still managed to find the time and opportunity to have group orgies with the women who work in the cash room.

When Agnes, a cash room ho, informed Kornfeld that she was pregnant, Herbert stepped up to the responsibility of fatherhood, even though he was not certain the child was his. He immediately put his wild days behind him, and looked forward to Agnes's delivery. Quite a transformation indeed.

Don't be surprised if Herbert takes a break from writing columns, as his schedule should be quite full supporting his new family.