The official title of View Askew 5, to be directed and written by Kevin Smith, and scheduled to be released on August 24, 2001. It's going to be the fifth and final film in the New Jersey Trilogy, and the title is a reference to The Empire Strikes Back, Episode 5 in the Star Wars Trilogy. So it's the whole Star Wars fetish all over again, before the movie's even out. Not surprising. And yes it's going to tie into all the previous movies.

The cast members (updated January 18, 2001) include Jason Mewes, Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Alanis Morissette, Dwight Ewell, Renee Humphrey, Scott Mosier, Shannon Elizabeth, Ethan Suplee, Will Ferrell, Seann William Scott, Jason Biggs, Ever Carradine, Tracy Morgan, Jules Asner, Judd Nelson, Steve Kmetko, Joey Lauren Adams, and Eliza Dushku.

Possible in-movie developments mentioned and speculated on so far include:

  • Matt Damon reprising his Will Hunting character in a parody role
  • Jay and Silent Bob trying to tell people about the events in Dogma, but everyone dismissing it as them being stoned, becuase everybody else had it erased from their memory
  • The death of Jay (even though kevin said neither of them were going to die, and that this was just going to be the last film to feature them)

I'll add more stuff to this as development marches on, if I can remember to. Kevin Smith had an online column about the making of the movie, called "Developing the Monkey", but Psychomic went under like sites tend to do. And as of January 11, 2001, filming began on the movie. May the gods have mercy upon our souls.


Postscript: Well...it's been finished, and released. And it was grand and glorious and a general lovable bastard of a movie. Of course with all the feedback already done on it, anything I would say would just be redundant.