So, I was munching away on a nice old bag of popcorn at work just a moment ago, and it got me thinking. Or rather, the immensely difficult process of eating the popcorn got me thinking about why people eat popcorn on dates at the movies.

I mean, I always get embarrassed when I am eating popcorn because, well, it is just difficult to eat. Maybe not as difficult as lobsters, or escargot, but, jeez-louise, it is difficult.

Unless you eat each kernel separately, there is no way of getting out of looking like a total slob. Which I am prepared to do in most cases, cause, hey, popcorn is yummy, and it doesn't have a lot of saturated fat and all that other bad stuff that one might find in the average snack.

But it dawned on me, insertchime like sounding "awwww!", that it doesn't make much sense that one should eat popcorn while trying to impress a possible, future significant other. Am I alone here?

Normally, I wouldn't really care about this kind of stuff, and actually, I have had many humorous moments with popcorn and the significant other at the time, but that doesn't change my current position on the topic.

Perhaps it is just me, but I am sitting here picturing a cute, little couple sitting next to each other in the theatre, and each of them are just acting like savages with their kernels. Ha! It is an amusing little daydream. I have yet to find an answer to this enquiry and if anyone can explain it to me, that would be delightful.