Ibn Hazm, born on November 7, 994, (398 AH), died on August 15, 1064, (456 AH). He was a Muslim philosopher living in Andalusia, and theologian of Persian descent. Born in Cordoba, present day Spain to an affluent family. His extended name is Abu Muhammad Ali ibn Ahmad ibn Saeed ibn hazm al-Andalusi al-Zahiri.

Ibn Hazm stated, "What fixes and preserves a nation's language, as well as its sciences and its history, is simply the strength of its political power, accompanied by the happy welfare and leisure of its inhabitants."

In Kitab al-Akhlaq wa'l Siyar (book of ethics and chronicles), Ibn Hazm states, "Compare yourself, for wealth, status and health to those lower to you. For faith, science, and virtue, compare yourself to those who are higher than you."

Additionally, in the same book he states, "Sciences are like powerful drugs, which suit the strong and exhaust the weak. Likewise, complex sciences enrich a vigorous mind, and keep it off evil, but exhaust the mediocre mind."

It is stated that the way warriors would chop with the sword, he would likewise chop with the tongue. He served under different ministerial positions in the government under different successive Umayyad Caliphs. One major post he filled was as a Hajib (Grand Vizier), as a prime minister in today's terms, under Al-Mansur ibn Abi Amir. Ibn Hazm continued government service till the last of the Caliphs, Hisham III.

Ibn Hazm grew up in a period during the final collapse of the Ummayed rule due to conflicting internal states. The phase of political chaos he grew up in and his early education by women away from children had a significant influence on his character. Later in his life as a scholar, he gained great reputation as one of the most original thinkers of Muslim Spain, some described him as the peerles imam.

Many subjects were mastered by Ibn Hazm, such as logic, poetry, grammar, history, genealogy, and history after he left public life for 30 years. He wrote works of continuing importance in Islamic theology. Over 400 works, almost 80,000 pages, were written by Ibn Hazm, the vast majority of which has not been translated except for a few works that have been translated into Spanish and French. One recurring theme in many of his books states, "science consist in knowing with certainty something according to what it really is, or by an evident proof which therefore helps reach certainty."

Ibn Hazm ends alot of his works with the following supplication, "May God make us amongst those he allows to do good, and to practice it, and those who see the right path as none of us is without weakness; whomsoever sees his weakness will forget those of others. May God make us die in the faith of Muhammad. Amen, Oh Master of the Universes."

References
Ibn Hazm, ROGER ARNALDEZ, http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/hazm/ibnhazm.htm, last accessed 10/2/2006
Ibn Hazm, GF Haddad, http://www.sunnah.org/history/Innovators/ibn_hazm.htm, last accessed 10/2/2006
Ibn Hazm, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Hazm, last accessed 10/2/2006