Whereas the DeLorean DMC-1s certainly had radical looks, with the gull wing doors and the low roof and angular lines popular amongst 70s supercars such as those produced by Lotus and Ferrari, the project was really doomed from the start.

Had John DeLorean continued working for General Motors, where he had been tipped to become the company's president, one of the sorriest affairs in recent British history might never have come to pass. DeLorean persuaded the British government to invest many tens of millions of pounds in his company, in return for which he would site his factory in Northern Ireland, one of the most economically depressed areas of Europe.

Had the DMC-1 been as successful as DeLorean claimed it was going to be, the benefits for the area would have been enormous. However DeLorean had used his contacts within the north American GMC dealer network to vastly inflate the apparent demand for the car. The British government checked the figures before handing over the cash but never asked for independent evaluation of sales potential.

The DeLorean was launched just as the US car market started to go into recession, with the sports car market particularly hard hit. The DeLorean sold well at first, but then owners started complaining about shoddy workmanship and lack of power compared to its rival vehicles. At the same time the situation in Northern Ireland was steadily worsening: IRA prisoners were on hunger strike demanding to be recognised as political prisoners. The British government refused to give in to their demands, and when the prisoners started dying Belfast erupted in riots: amongst the many buildings torched were the DeLorean offices.

DeLorean used this as an excuse to go cap-in-hand to the British government for more money: this time the government refused. Within two months the factory had closed down with the loss of nearly 3,000 jobs, and the British taxpayers found themselves over £75 million down. The British government was severely criticised by its own financial watchdog, and criminal investigations against DeLorean were launched on suspicion that he'd used some of the public money to start new companies of his own.

None of the court cases succeeded however, and DeLorean looked as if he was going to walk away from the whole debacle unscathed. Then the FBI, who had long had him under suspicion for narcotics dealing managed to arrest him during a deal to import several million dollars of cocaine and heroin into the US. Despite the whole thing being caught on camera he was ultimately found not guilty. John DeLorean has kept a comparatively low profile ever since then, although his name does crop up from time to time involved in various entrepreneurial projects.

The few DMC-1s that did get produced are now very much collector's items. Despite the fact they weren't particularly brilliant cars, their rarity and the story that goes behind them has helped make them desirable. Being featured in Back to the Future probably did their status no harm, either!