The Last Night of the Proms is probably the most famous musical event in the world, watched and listened to by an audience of many millions around the globe. While it lives up to its reputation of a fun "Last Night party" celebrating British tradition, it equally encapsulates the spirit of the Proms, featuring leading international artists and a truly "musically all-embracing" programme, introducing new works alongside much-loved classics.

Tradition dictates the last four works of the Last Night. Prommers lead the audience in singing along to Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March no.1 ("Land of Hope and Glory"), "Rule, Britannia!" and "Jerusalem", and add their own special touches to the BBC Symphony Orchestra's virtuosic performance of Sir Henry Wood's Fantasia on British Sea-Songs. Alongside these traditional elements of the programme, it has also been the custom of recent years to emphasise this concert as the finale of a great festival, bringing together the different themes of the season.

But above all, the Last Night of the Proms is a lively celebration of the world's greatest classical music festival and the wide range of great music it presents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/proms/