Motor vehicle marque of General Motors' UK division, or more strictly speaking, the UK part of Opel, which itself is the European trading name of GM. Vauxhall build and sell almost identical models of car to those sold in Europe by Opel, although the names sometimes differ. For example, a Vauxhall Astra is equivalent to an Opel Kadet, although there has been a move recently to consolidate car model names across the whole continent.

Vauxhall's main plants are at Luton, Bedfordshire and Ellesmere Port on Merseyside: the Luton plant is where the company's headquarters are, and is the one where car manufacture takes place. Ellesmere Port is used for component manufacture as well as importing products from Europe.

Vauxhall Motors was founded in England in 1903 and quickly became allied with the German firm Opel which was a few years older. In 1925 the US General Motors company, looking to expand into the European car market, acquired Vauxhall and Opel but allowed them to retain their distinct identities. This was a wise move, as after the Second World War when car ownership started to become much more widespread, it became rapidly apparent that European consumers looked for very different qualities in their cars compared to their north American counterparts. This differentiation became even more noticeable in the 1970s following the oil crises of the early part of that decade.

What this all means is that despite the fact that Vauxhall is owned by GM it doesn't produce much that an American would recognise as any kind of General Motors car. The Vauxhall Cavalier is similar to Chevrolet's car of the same name but there a number of differences, not least in the marketing. A Chevvy Cavalier is officially a "small car" in the US (at least according to Chevrolet's website) whereas the Vauxhall car with the same name and of the same size is a medium-sized "family car" in Britain.