WOW! The new E2 XP Leveling System Adjustments now in force is really, really changing this place. I made the comment in the Catbox the other night that under the previous system I was getting tired of voting for the sake of voting. For a while there I didn’t vote every day and my LF would slip even if my writeup list was static or if I didn’t receive any downvotes.

But it was tedious to vote. I had 65 daily votes and, after voting the New Writeups and any writeups on the Cool list that were not posted that day, I had to scrounge around for something to vote on. I seem to have already voted on half the nodes offered in Staff Picks. The Day Log lately has had fewer and fewer users compared to several years ago.

I eventually worked my way through all the old Day Logs, going back as far as the first postings in 1999. It is amazing how many people posted Day Logs in the early days.

Tonight there were 45 writeups posted in the 24 hours since I last voted. The Cool list had 56 new entries in the same period. Given that many writeups were the latest entry in a multi-writeup node, my 50 votes didn’t cover the New Writeups list, let alone allow me to take a stab at the Cool list.

When I had 65 votes to get rid of, I just upvoted everything except the really atrocious writeups. I downvoted vulgarities and anything that appeared to be relatively untouched by HTML. Now I can be discriminating. I have noticed that quoting sources for factual writing seems to be falling by the wayside. I also notice that less thought is being given to providing hardlinks. I can pick and choose between good and better and best writeups. Voting is going to be fun again.




A.P. (after posting) With a blush, I must confess that I have just now read the details of THE IRON NODER CHALLENGE - so that's where all the writeups are coming from! Nevertheless, I am still pleased to be working with a limited number of votes.