Yes, in fact, that is exactly what the writers of the Constitution intended.

"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
-Patrick Henry

Somehow idiots think that "the people" referred to by the second amendment are not the same people referred to in the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, ninth and tenth amendments.

And while not writers of the original document, I believe this quote says something important.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner."
- Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, 97th Congress, Second Session (February 1982)

And, finally, pretty much directly refuting your claim that the writers of the Constitution didn't intend for actual citizens to own guns,

"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Sam Adams, Debates & Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1886-1887

Thank you, and good night.