(Enough opinion and a little history).

Amazingly enough, I did get a 1400 on my SAT (on the nose), but not at first. You see, my original score was actually a 1390 (split down 670V, 720M). However, this was the second time I took the SATs, for a better score (for scholarships and the like). I was good at taking these tests, and I figured, "Heck, why not."

So after I received my first score in the low 1300s, I took it again, and got my 1390; I was quite happy and satisfied with my score. Then on the news about a week after my scores had arrived, In the spring of 1997, was watching the national news when I saw a historic event: There was a mistake on the SATs, and it affected about 30% of the tests taken.

As it turns out, someone taking the same test I had found the error in the math problems that could make it resolve to a different answer, if you read it a certain way. (I belive the SAT book says that you should immediately make a challenge to the problem, after the test is over.) His name escapes me, but he must be pretty sharp to find a mistake, no one else had on that test. To all of the people whom it affected, a letter arrived in the mail a few weeks after they got their scores. It informed me, and the many other people who took it, that there was a mistake, and their test was among those that potentially contained the error. Thus, ten points was freely awarded to my score, regardless of whether I got the problem right or wrong.

This was a blessing beyond many others my senior year. I could then apply for many of the higher scholarships, for which 1400 SATs was the cutoff. All I have to thank is some anonymous person who is really good at high school math, and a sharp reader. I hope he did better than I; he deserved it.

(02-10-03): As an update, the person was Colin Rizzio, as reported by a Mr. Josh Huber, who went to high school with him

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/feb/02-07-97/news/news7.html