The National Eagle Scout Association, or NESA is a group of adult men who have achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. I have a lifetime membership (there is a membership fee, but that is just to keep the organization going). It is said that "The Trail to Eagle Never Ends." It's something that people should keep in their hearts after achieving this highest of (non-extrordinary) Scouting honors.

A history of NESA, quoted and edited from http://www.bsa.scouting.org/nesa/

In the 15 years following the original organization of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910, the growth of the movement was slowed only by the need for qualified leaders. There was no program developed to hold the interests of the older Scouts in their troops. Many youths attaining Scouting's highest honor lost interest and dropped from active participation.

On the night of April 19, 1925, ten Eagle Scouts met in the office of Scout Executive Raymond O. Hanson of the San Francisco Council. That meeting was for the purpose of organizing an association which would hold the interests of Eagle Scouts, uphold the dignity of the Eagle Award, and provide a base for continuing leadership in the Scouting movement. That night it was decided to organize an association of Eagle Scouts devoted to service. Thus, the Knights OF Dunamis was launched.

The name for the new association was selected carefully to reflect its dedication to service. The word "Dunamis" (pronounced DOO'-NA-MIS) is derived from the Greek word meaning "Power" or "Spirit" and denotes the increased power which is an Eagles, by virtue of his membership, to use for the good of the Scouting movement and his community.

Dunamis was formed to promote Eagle Scouting. The founders felt that young men seeking a meaningful purpose in life fulfilled many of the same requirements as the Knights of Old. Thus, knighthood and the greatest knight of all, Sir Galahad, became the foundation of Dunamis. The Knight's Code, which stressed honor to his country, the preparation to defend it from any enemy, and the commitment of service to his fellow man, was the obligation of a knight.

The Knights of Dunamis emblem consisted of an Eagle perched on a sword which rested on the shield of Dunamis. The eagle was symbolic of every member's achievement of the Eagle Scout rank. The sword was a replica of the sword of Sir Galahad, from which, legend said, Galahad derived his power and leadership. The triangular shield of Dunamis signified the three parts of the Scout Oath - duty to God and country, duty to others, and duty to self.

Based upon this foundation, the early achievements of the Knights of Dunamis in San Francisco were impressive, with a high percentage of the members continuing their interests in the Scouting program.

The success of this service program did not go unnoticed in other councils. Within a year a second group was organized in the adjoining San Mateo County Council, and shortly thereafter a third was formed in the Atlantic City Council.

On December 14, 1929, delegates from six chapters met in San Francisco to organize a national board. This national organization supplemented the local chapters by providing supplies and holding national conferences to facilitate the exchange of views.

In 1971 there were 37 chapters of the Knights of Dunamis. The strongest chapters were located in San Francisco and Washington, DC. The older members saw great "mystery" in the name and ritual of K.D., and the strength of leadership was in the hands of the few who were caught up in the ceremonies and degrees of knighthood. Youth members found some conflict between their obligation to their own Scout unit and the time spent in K.D. ritual and activities. There was a need to keep in contact with Eagle Scouts and to develop a manpower resource of Eagle Scouts for Scouting. To accomplish this, the support of the National Council was needed.

At its annual meeting at Fort Collins, Colo., in August 1970, the National Chapter of the Knights of Dunamis, Inc., empowered its officers to take action to dissolve the corporation and consummate a merger with the Boy Scouts of America.

Robert Ballou, who grew up in K.D., was selected as national secretary when the BSA agreed to subsidize the K.D. for 18 months. In 1971 James J. Harris was assigned as national secretary.

In May 1971, a meeting was held in Atlanta to discuss the future of the Eagle program and a steering committee was formed. This committee was composed of two national Executive Board members, J. Kimball Whitney and Donald H. Flanders, the president of K.D. Dr. Lester Steig and the first vice-president Dr. James Cochran, Ebert May, James Harris, J. H. Biggers, Ken Wells, and three K. D. youth members. Using the research study presented by the Research and Development Division under the direction of Wells, plans were formulated for the organization of the National Eagle Scout Association.

A National Eagle Scout Association committee was formed in August 1971, with Whitney and Flanders representing the National BSA Board, James Cochran as national adviser, John Russell and Robert Salisbury as associate national advisers. It was at this time that Dr. Steig officially stepped down as national president of the Knights of Dunamis and became a member of the NESA committee.

The National Eagle Scout Association was launched with the first NESA committee meeting held in conjunction with the National Council meeting in Los Angeles on May 19, 1972.

The purpose of NESA has remained the same: to identify Eagle Scouts and to provide a manpower resource for local councils. The primary objective of local chapters is to guide Eagle Scouts, of all ages into service within the local council. NESA has grown to a membership of 83,946 with 274 local chapters. All BSA councils have membership enrolled in the National Eagle Scout Association.

NESA is young men searching for dynamic and challenging leadership roles. NESA is older Eagle Scouts who desire using their efforts and influence toward forming the kind of young men America needs for leadership. The objective of NESA is "to serve - to serve Eagle Scouts and through them, the entire movement of Scouting."


The symbol of NESA is the crest of the Eagle Scout, with a ribbon from wing to wing with National Eagle Scout Association written across it. The colors of the American flag are found in the interior of the ribbon. At the bottom of the emblem is hanging a boline, reminding Scouts to always "Do a Good Turn Daily."