If I did not engage in a physical activity like running, I would be completely sedentary, travelling from home desk to work desk to restaurant chair to school desk to tv couch to library desk to, of course, bed. It is common knowledge that an active lifestyle improves health, short term and long term. If I did not run, I may become a burden on the healthcare system, causing taxpayers to pay more. I would take more time off work and I would have to take more medicine.

Even though healthy people do eventually end up in the hospital to die, unhealthy people tend to stay sick longer and stay in hospitals longer. Because of improved health of the general population due to eating better and execising more, the drug companies are losing a big segment of their business. To regain market share, they are releasing behavioral drugs such as Prozac and Viagra.

Now,I run between 3 and 4 times a week and burn 10-13 calories a minute, burning a total of about 1207 (11.5calories*30minutes*3.5times*)calories a week. This is the equivalent to burning off a McDonalds Big Mac Meal Deal complete with milkshake and baked apple pie. Yes!

The roots of running are in New Zealand, where an Olympic track coach, Dr. Lydard, suggested it as a conditioning activity for retired athletes. Since then, running has been seen recognized by many leading authorities as a heart excercise and for general conditioning and weight-loss. Since the 1960's it is estimated that between 7 and 10 million runners have engaged in the sport.

Running is still very popular, according to Nike, running shoe sales outweigh the sales of any other shoes. There are a lot of people out there on the streets trying to get healthier. In North America, the biggest killer is heart desiese . Aerobic exercise has been considered for some time as a good preventative medicine. On the other hand, runners have also sited problems with fallen arches, shin splints and back problems. However, given safe, realistic objectives and general good health, the average runner should be out of danger.