Humans are not advanced, we are physically weak (a chimpanzee, our closest relative could rip us in half), half blind (see the eagle), deaf (see big cats), dumb (elephants can communicate over longer distances than us) our sense of smell is non-existent (see dogs), and our reflexes are painfully slow. Yet we dominate the earth, that fact is indisputable – no other species has changed the planet as dramatically as we have.

Humans are capable of changing and influencing the environment around them on a massive scale. I am “proud” to say we are also capable of destroying the entire planet with relative ease. No other organism at all, no bacteria, virus, plant, fungus, protoctista, or ferret comes close.

No organism can live in a radically different environment without slowly evolving to fit a new niche but we don’t need to wait to evolve wings to fly. A chimpanzee cannot live in water, but a human can – by using technology we can live in space, underwater, in extreme cold etc…

Though some bacteria may be capable of living at huge pressures and temperatures at geothermal vents, take them to sea level and they explode. Only one species has been to both places in such a short amount of time.

It is our capacity to adapt to different environments, adapt different environments to suit us, and use “tools” that allow us to circumvent evolution and that quality makes us the most advanced species on earth.