Natural Selection Outside the Bounds of Biota

Natural selection, a term most often associated with Darwinism and evolutionists has become common vocabulary in the economic and political sectors. Statements overheard at recent market and technology events include statements such as “they just couldn’t find their niche in the market;” “talk about bottom of the food chain;” and “it is time to find a company better suited for this environment.” Not too different from conversations going on in ecology classrooms across the great state of Georgia.

As far as a nation, company, or political figure being more or less fit in an unregulated setting, one can not simply state whether or not it is “justified.” The basis of capitalist or market economy is that anyone can compete. This is no different than an ecosystem inhabited by individuals of a population. Those able to adapt to their environment, be it a foreign trade policy change or a weather pattern, are able to thrive. The difference is the ethos of competition in a human infested ecosystem. This writer proposes that there is a basic morality in the economic and political sectors of competition; which when followed provide a basically even field for competition. The same cannot be said for ecosystems.

(**note, i am not from georgia, my ecology instructor is...this essay was part of my final in that class.)