Do you live in London, UK? Do you live in Docklands (esp Westferry, Limehouse or Shadwell)? Do you work in Soho, Covent Garden, Embankment, Blackfriars or near Bank? If you have answered yes to all the above questions, then you should seriously consider making the change that I have recently made.

I used to brave the Docklands Light Rail to Bank Station and then change to the Underground Central Line to Tottenham Court Road and then walk into Soho.

If you have ever been a commuter in London on public transport during peak hours, you would understand the sheer hell of the experience.

I recently discovered that there is a commuter ferry that arrives at the Canary Wharf pier (a few minutes from my front door) and drops me at the Savoy Pier, located a minute's walk from Embankment Tube station. The ferry is clean (London Underground is filthy, despite what the New Yorkers say when they see it), it is not crowded and it is a really peaceful way to start your morning.

The only downside is that it is more expensive than the Tube. However, when I am cruising home along the river on a summers evening, sipping a lovely beer (they have a bar on board), a calm descends over me and I think nothing of the small premium I have paid to avoid the madness of the Tube.

The service I use is called Crewe River Enterprises and you cand find them at http://www.thamesclippers.com.