80 to 90 percent of the comfort women came from Korea. The Japanese tricked girls, some as young as twelve years of age, by promising them jobs and food (Korea was under occupation). Usually, girls would be forced at gunpoint and be kidnapped.

Upon arrival at comfort stations, girls would be expected to service up to 100 men a day for little or no pay. Sometimes they were gang raped and often sodomized. The hours were long, there was insufficient medical care, inadequate housing, limited freedom, and those that attempted escape were killed (70 to 90 percent of comfort women became casualties of war). (Chai, 70-71)

There are allegations homosexual men were also raped. A gay transvestite, Walter Dempster, Jr., now 76, related his experience while the Philippines was under occupation. Japanese soldiers attempted to abduct him, thinking he was female, but upon learning he and his friends were males, got even more excited. They were repeatedly raped. Some of his friends stopped their cross-dressing to prevent being abducted for this purpose. However, they ended up being rounded up with the other civilian men, who were executed by the Japanese as they retreated when Manila got liberated. (Jimenez-David)

A sidenote: a 2000 film in the Philippines, called Comfort Gay, tells the supposedly true story of a man forced into sexual slavery to satisfy the urges of homosexual Japanese soldiers. The wounds in the Philippines have not yet fully healed, mostly because of Japan's failure to apologize, but the film is a drama/comedy, which shows a slight change in attitude from over 50 years ago.

Sources:
Chai, Alice Yun. "Asian-Pacific Feminist Coalition Politics: The Comfort Women Movement." Korean Studies v.17, 1993: 67-91.
Jimenez-David, Rina. "There Were Comfort Gays Too." Philippines Daily Inquirer, January 27, 2000.