I have noticed in recent years the holiday season music played in stores is moving away from the more religious overtones to generic sentiments of joy/giving/snow. As someone who used to be a very bitter ex-Catholic, I don't find this type of music all that offensive. While it is true that the music may not appeal to everyone, that could be said for any other type of music. Personally, I find certain types of elevator music extremely offensive.

It's quite possible that since I live in a rather densely populated area with a multitude of ethnicities and religious beliefs that stores here are utilizing more generic music. I can only imagine what it is like in more Christian areas of this nation. If I heard O Holy Night telling me to fall on my knees, I would not like it. Songs like Silver Bells. and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, however, are pretty far removed from the preachy-type of Christmas songs, and are perfectly fine to me.

It seems to me the intent of stores playing these songs is to create a mood, to encourage buying, and believe that the music will achieve that. If their intent was to convert all the heretics, then I would take issue with that. If it really bothered me, I would let the store management know and do my shopping elsewhere. Nothing hurts more than losing revenue.