The students wore trenchcoats often to school, but they were not members of the Trenchcoat Mafia, which was in fact a clique of kids at the school. They also did not listen to Marilyn Manson, they thought he was a sell out. Many students told the press about this, but the media decided to run with the Manson connection anyways.

Note: This note was obtained from the Associated Press, who obtained it from the Denver Rocky Mountain News. Misspelled words, capitalization, and grammatical errors belong to the original author of this note.

By now it's over. If you are reading this my mission is complete. I have finished revolutionizing the neoeuphoric infliction of my internal terror. Your children who have ridaculed me, who have chosen not to accept me, who have treated me like I am not worth their time are dead. THEY ARE FUCKING DEAD. Surely you will try to blame it on the clothes I wear, the music I listen to, or the way I choose to present myself - but no. Do not hide behind my choices. You need to face the fact that this comes as a result of YOUR CHOICES. Parents and Teachers, YOU FUCKED UP. You have taught these kids to be gears and sheep. To think and act like those who came before them, to not accept what is different. YOU ARE IN THE WRONG. I may have taken their lives and my own - but it was your doing. Teachers, Parents, LET THIS MASSACRE BE ON YOUR SHOULDERS UNTIL THE DAY YOU DIE. Am I insane? Maybe. Is it my fault? No. I did not choose this life, but I have indeed chosen to exit it. You may think the horror ends with the bullet in my head - but you wouldn't be so lucky. All that I can leave you with to decipher what more extensive death is to come is "12Skizto." You have until April 26th. Goodbye. Eric Harris, April 19th.

It is widely believed that 12Skitzo is a reference to an Insane Clown Posse song called 12 off their Riddle Box album, which is about a executed man who comes back from the dead to kill the jury that convicted him. When I saw ICP in Pittsburgh in January of 2000, Violent J had this to say between songs: "We've been getting a lot of bad press lately about Columbine, and how the shooters were supposedly juggalos. They've been asking us for sound bites... quotes of the minute, if you will. Well, I've got this to say... if those two faggots in trenchcoats had been Juggalos, they would have gotten the whole damn school."