Having been living this as a lifestyle occasionally for the past year, and observing several other people doing it as well, I was surprised to find that there's not a node describing this.

Couch surfing is a way of life commonly found among the stoner and party kid crowds. Specifically, it's the habit of passing out on someone's couch every night because you are too stoned, drunk, tripped out, spun, or (insert favorite inebriation here) to go home. This is more commonly seen at a party house.

There are no rules for couch surfing, but I've noded some tips below that you may find helpful, and tend to make the experience more pleasant for both the host and the surfer.

  • Always ask before you crash.
  • When it comes to sleeping locations, it's every man for himself.
  • If you must sleep on the floor, expect to get stepped on at least once.
  • It helps to have a backpack or bag with you containing a change of clothes, personal hygiene items, etc. I keep such a bag in my car just in case.
  • It's a good idea to empty your pockets before passing out - it sucks to wake up with your keys lodged in your crotch. The aforementioned bag is a good place to put your stuff.
  • Removing your shoes will make your morning that much better, as you don't have to deal with that icky I slept in my shoes all night feeling
  • Usually this happens due to a massive throwdown at the residence the night before, leaving the place somewhat untidy. It's generally considered good form to assist in the cleanup once you regain conciousness.
  • In the same vein, when cleaning up, it's generally a good idea to stash any paraphernalia first, because you never know who might drop by. (this may seem like common sense, but you'd be surprised...)
  • If you arise before everyone else, go about whatever business you have at hand as quietly as possible.
  • Usually there will be at least one other person surfing with you. If you don't know them well, respect them and their space.
  • Stealing from sleeping people is uncool.


That's all I have for now...feel free to add more as you see fit.

See also: couch surfer