As mentioned in the previous writeup this recipe works best when your bananas are easily mashed. Quite often stores will have elderly bananas for sale at a fraction of what you would pay for the full price green or yellow variety. These muffins are both gluten and dairy free, they are also lower in sugar than their conventional friends. I've adapted this recipe from one that has been in my family for years so please feel free to tweak as you see fit.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius.

  • 1/2 Cup (60 grams) Almond Flour - also known as Almond Meal - I use Bob's Red Mill
  • 1/4 Cup (30 grams) Sorghum Flour - this can be difficult to find even in stores that stock the Bob's Red Mill brand
  • 1/4 Cup (30 grams) Flaxseed Meal
  • 1/4 Cup (30 grams) Quinoa Flakes
  • 1/3 Cup (35 grams) Coconut Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1.5 teaspoons Baking Powder

Set aside dry ingredients and combine the following in a separate container:

  • 1 Cup ripe mashed bananas - Three usually works well
  • 1 Egg
  • 12 drops Vanilla Stevia - if using plain stevia I recommend doubling the vanilla
  • 1 teapoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Cup (4 ounces) melted Coconut Oil
  • 1/8 Cup (2 ounces) Enjoy Life Mini Chips

After the wet ingredients have been combined with the dry I sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the batter. The original recipe called for 1/4 Cup (30 grams) which I feel is overly much. The Enjoy Life brand of mini chips is suprisingly good considering how awful some of their other products are. They are also gluten, dairy, nut and soy free.

The batter will seem wet and you can adjust the oil down however I've had better luck with the amount listed. This is a very flexible recipe, I've used pumpkin instead of the bananas, skipped the cinnamon, added Five Spice powder and thrown a touch of cayenne pepper in for Spicy Pumpkin Muffins. You can also omit the cinnamon, add lemon zest and exchange the chips for wild blueberries if you would like a citrus twist on Banana Blueberry Muffins.

This recipe can be adapted to make cranberry muffins. Replace the bananas with however many chopped cranberries you feel is appropriate, skip the cinnamon, the vanilla, and use plain Stevia. Grated orange rind is a nice addition and I would recommend a half teaspoon of xanthum gum to help hold the cranberry muffins together.

This recipe usually nets 12 standard sized muffins. Bake for twenty minutes or until the tops are golden. While this recipe features expensive ingredients these muffins have received good reviews from children and adults alike. Most people can't tell that the sweetener is stevia and if you use coconut sugar you get a richer flavor than if you substitute. If anyone makes these and has a recipe recommendation I would love to hear it! These muffins freeze well and I'm sorry I don't have any nutritional information available. Muffins are best served warm with a steaming mug of fresh tea. Enjoy!