This thing right here
Is lettin’ all the ladies know

I go to the coffee shop across from my synagogue for two reasons. One of them is fresh, sweet and warm. The second reason is men like the one sitting by the plant. Thick black lashes framed his dark blue eyes . Two small holes about an inch apart from each other dotted the front of his shirt. An open notebook sat out on his table. Maybe he was a struggling student. A brown paper napkin unfolded in front of me. He had the hands of a healer. Or an artist

What guys talk about
You know, the finer things in life

Before I could introduce myself two things happened simultaneously. The man in front of me made a comment about the economy while another set of eyes stared at me over the edge of a laptop. My eyes lingered on the shirt standing next to me. The man looking over the laptop smiled. My mother has been a dental hygienist for longer than I’ve been alive. I know what a beautiful smile looks like. More importantly I know what it means when a smile lingers in the air.

She like to dance at all the hip hop spots
And she cruise to the crews like connect the dots

Before I could make my way over to the ladies' room another man caught my eye. Bright black eyes captured my green ones. Black and white newsprint fell to the side. Everything about him said class. From the fountain pen sitting in his shirt pocket to the corners of his square tipped shoes. I wanted to run my fingers through his hair just to see if I could disturb his well ordered life. His coffee was so strong I could smell it from five paces away.

Not just urban she likes the pop
Cuz she was living la vida loca

Cute laptop boy smiled at me again. Three men. Three choices. A triple diversion for the quiet coffee shop I frequented. The man with the paper pulled a bill out of his money clip. The guy with the torn shirt was still standing next to me. On my way back from the restroom I had a chance to see what the guy with the laptop had on his screen. The words "LOVE ME" jumped out at me. Apparently laptop boy had been asking his internet friends for relationship advice.

See ya shakin that thang like who's da ish
With a look in her eye so devilish

The Alamo contains the undead brain eating corpse of General Santa Anna. LOVE ME!” Intrigued I kept reading. “If we have sex we have to be quiet or my mom will come in and beat us with brooms. LOVE ME!” The guy in front of me turned around when I laughed out loud. The next line made me laugh even harder: “I contain 100% of the daily recommended allowance of hot sex. LOVE ME!” Lines of text blurred before my eyes as I wiped the tears away. I couldn't remember the last time I had laughed that hard about anything.

Let me see that thong

The fictitious coffee shop faded from her mind as she picked up her mug of lukewarm tea. Outside it was gloomy and overcast. The kitchen was a short walk down the hall. A flick of her wrist started the stove under the teapot. Warm lavender scented water filled her porcelain sink. Sunlight brightened her window as she picked up her dishcloth still thinking about meeting her imaginary friends at the coffee shop. It was good to be smiling again.

Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowin' through the jasmine of my mind