I don't have much time but wanted to let people know that my oldest daughter has been hospitalized due to a potential bone infection. She's in surgery now, they're doing a biopsy and putting in a PICC line for antibiotics. MRI indicates that her right heel and medial malleolus are affected. Hopefully she will respond to treatment rapidly so we can go home soon. Things have alternated between tedious boredom, nothing much happens on a holiday and a barrage of information about what might be happening internally. She's not in much pain, thankfully, her fever is gone, and it looks like we caught things early. Despite numerous tests, no one is really sure what is exactly wrong, certain numbers are elevated but others are normal which is confusing. People have been very supportive and the hospital staff has been great so apart from wanting clean clothes and our own beds, we've been hanging in there. Thanks to everyone who has sent support and encouragement, that has really helped. Hope everyone else has been surviving the heat, I'll try and post updates when I can.

Update 1: Biopsy was much more painful than was described. Jill was crying and almost screaming about the pain in her heel. They gave her some anti-nausea meds which probably prevented her from vomiting. Her best friend came to visit not long after she arrived back in her room. It was really good to see some of her personality come back. Before surgery she was joking around with the surgery team, she didn't seem scared and despite the surroundings she seemed very comfortable. Children's Hospital in Milwakee is a nationally ranked hospital and I have been really impressed with how people are treating us as a family and her as a patient. She is now getting two different broad spectrum antibiotics. Eventually these will be done at home but for now the hospital staff is administering them. Best case scenario means she would come home tomorrow but that seems unlikely at this point.

Update 2: We went backwards a bit after Jill threw up this afternoon. I left around three, it was so nice to be home and wearing clean clothes, I took the best shower I've had in a while, sat around watching my Twitter feed, and tried to catch up on phone calls and Facebook. The house is a disaster, we left Tuesday after the call from Jill's pediatrician telling us to get to the hospital in Milwaukee ASAP and Jill hasn't been home since July 3, 2012. We didn't expect to spend the night then, last night we got the news very late and we were hoping that she could come home tomorrow but now we're pretty sure that she won't. My youngest really wanted to stay with her sister but the hospital won't allow that which I can understand, but that doesn't help Jane as she really misses her sister. Antibiotics were started today, she's currently receiving two broad spectrum meds that may be changed if we can identify which germ is causing the infection. Jill didn't want a popsicle or Gatorade, she's back on the IV but at least now she has the line so they don't have to restick her. Jane fell asleep during the ride home, I'm hoping both girls sleep in as I think that would do them both good.

When I was leaving to go back to the hospital, I saw a fox crossing our yard. It was so thin that initially I thought it was a large cat or a small dog. It was panting, searching for water but it kept trotting. I'm normally not a huge outdoors person in the backwoods sense but the fox was sad to me. I don't know why it affected me, probably because I'm worn down and tired from the past few days but I kept thinking about that poor little animal who will die without something to drink. The lake is not far, maybe the fox will make it there before it loses its life to dehydration. My wake/sleep schedule is pretty messed up. I was so tired driving home and now I'm awake again. It's funny how little most things that I thought were important really matter. I've been disappointed in some of my family members but my friends have been true champions. My friend said that the security team deserves a special mention - they searched through her box of organic grapes, apples, and carrot juice. It seemed suspicious since it wasn't in a traditional grocery bag. Everyone has to wear a visible pass, security is very tight which is probably good even if we're amused by it. Can't imagine how awful it would be if something criminal happened to a child at the hospital.

Update 3: Jill is coming home tomorrow! Today the art therapist stopped by. One woman let Jill paint a mask and the other gave her some modeling clay and markers. My in-laws dropped off some make your own placemat books and our staff minister from church dropped off a book of word searches and crossword puzzles. Since Jill will need IV antibiotics at home I learned how to flush the IV with saline. I was more than a little nervous but things went smoothly. It's good to see Jill getting into some trouble although that is also frustrating. Today she was able to bear some weight on her heel and even went on the exercise bike in her room for about twenty seconds which may not sound like much but is impressive considering that her condition is painful and the needle biopsy only made it worse. Through this ordeal she has really been amazing. She hasn't complained much and has held up through pain, uncertainty, and lack of food. Today she ate breakfast for the first time since she arrived at the hospital, this was also the first day she kept down all three of the meals that she ate.

My sister took a picture of Jill and her cousin, a positive that came out of this experience is that the cousins were able to spend more time together. I have been disappointed with certain members of my family although the majority of them have been very supportive. My mom had car trouble the night she visited, she made a comment about me going for the uncombed hair look which I did not appreciate. My husband did not think Jill needed to be taken in when I talked to him about it on Monday. Tuesday afternoon I made the decision to take her in without consulting him and I'm glad I did. My mother said he was right to be judicious, that also did not sit well with me but I let both comments ride as I can't afford to dwell on anything negative right now. Lately I've been more of a Twitter junkie than an E2 addict. A nice thing there is I choose who appears in my feed so I can surround myself with people who share my interests and attitudes. I'm beginning to form more friendships, and it's hard to find people with too many friends that care.

Cheers,

jess