Comfort food can be made even easier if you omit anything non-essential. Most recipes call for ingredients I can't have and after many gluten free failures I finally stumbled on the mkb recipe for meatballs which can be found near the end of his gravy recipe. After some substitutions I came up with what you see below. It isn't anything amazing however it is simple, relatively inexpensive and more nutrient dense than traditional counterparts.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius:

  • One pound ground meat of your choice
  • One egg
  • Bragg's Liquid Aminos - 2 teaspoons - experiment to find what works for you - I use a couple of good healthy shakes
  • Precooked quinoa - 1/2 Cup (45-50 grams) - add until your mixture forms a ball
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered sage

Salt and pepper to taste - salt may not be necessary if you use enough Bragg's. My oldest prefers meatballs, my youngest likes meatloaf so I split the recipe and make both. If my meat is especially lean I will drape strips of bacon on top of the meatloaf and top the meatballs with olive oil. Halving this recipe reduces the cook time, my versions are usually done after twenty minutes. I prefer my meat on the rare side however you may wish to leave yours in for longer. 

Roasted vegetables are a colorful addition to this plain Jane meal and I usually put together a tossed salad to include more of the leafy green foods. I have also used this recipe to stuff peppers. If you are avoiding grains you can skip the quinoa and add coconut flour until your meat stops sticking to the sides of your bowl, usually less than a tablespoon is needed as a little goes a long way. As always, suggestions, tips and recommendations are appreciated.