Downtown, far from the stores shoppers flock to, is a four story red brick building. The first three floors house old medical records that can't be legally destroyed until they're thirty years old. Upstairs, the owner of the building has turned the fourth floor into a home for plants. Lush potted greens line the west wall, some rise up to block the windows, other shorter plants extend into the main area which is a gray cement floor that's been recently redone. In the corner is a bin with yoga mats. There's a stereo, a few pieces of red leather furniture that seem both out of place, as well as oddly fitting. Standing in a pool of pulsing coppery sunshine, I see the room not as it is, but the way the paramedics discovered it back in August. I picture the six sides of the human foot, and relive the crunch of it being driven upwards into an assailant's jaw.

The other room I want to tell you about isn't as large as the fourth floor quarters it was modeled after, however, it isn't as empty either. There are fewer plants, the owner killed a few before she realized she was watering them too frequently. The uneven flooring is scuffed, it needs to be swept badly although you get the feeling that the broom and dustpan that lean next to the garbage can probably don't get much of a workout. A bamboo bowl of apples is one of the first things you see when you walk into the room. The bowl is large, it's painted green on the outside, the fruit inside didn't pass the supermarket standards which is why the owner is able to get organic produce at a discount, sometimes for free.

Other signs speak to the owner not being wealthy, the bathroom is functional, but the tissue is barely there, and the toilet makes a thunking gurgling sound after it's been flushed. The room is an odd triangular shape, in the near corner a dark skinned woman is wiping the nose of her toddler. Squinting makes images clearer, around the room are many troubled women. Some are swaying as they sing softly, others are talking, two women are hugging, the woman closest to the window pulls away first, wiping her eyes with her hands while the woman who was giving her a hug smiles gently.

Strange Fruit bills itself as a yoga studio where you can buy soup, salads, smoothies, and juice. The owner lives upstairs, and although the mingled women on the first floor have differing skin and eye colors, they're all carrying the scars and stripes that made them victims of abuse. Their lives are better now that they have a place to stay, even if it means they're sleeping on yoga mats, and covered by borrowed bedding. It's a place where anyone can go, the occasional man wanders through, but most of the patrons are women, usually with children, and without money.

Somehow, the place stays in business, managing to pay the rent by pleading with the landlord, and making payments just before the eviction notice gets printed. Despite the sorrowful journey that has brought most of the women here, hope permeates the air. There's talk of preparing for job interviews, of meeting attorneys, and of a tomorrow that will bring new skills, fresh faces, and distance from the lives that they used to lead. Those who have been here for a while welcome the newcomers who hold their coats tight to their chests, wearing fresh bruises from recent beatings instead of paint and powder.

Rarely do well educated women walk through the doors, although the woman with five children who left an abusive spouse after he dragged her son off of the playground feet first was a college professor before she quit her job in another state. For months she stayed with people she knew, parenting to the best of her ability before she was able to get professional help. I had an interesting talk with the woman who runs Strange Fruit. She admitted that she once upon a time she had a regular job. Her life changed the day a woman whose battered face made it difficult for her to speak asked if she could use the bathroom before her brother came to pick her up. She says that despite the challenges involved in keeping her pseudo restaurant and yoga studio afloat, she doesn't have any regrets.

Her room isn't furnished, there's a curled yoga mat, a dented brass alarm clock, and two decaying sweaters hanging in her closet. I can't find a full sized towel in her bathroom, she has half a bar of lavender soap in her shower, dental floss, a bottle of vitamins, and an electric toothbrush sit on the edge of her sink. She states that God will provide, there isn't much to steal so she doesn't worry about people trying to take advantage of her anymore. Standing in front of her, I wonder what griefs etched those lines into her forehead. I can't fathom the type the courage it would take to start a place like this with nothing more than a dream of offering hope to those who gather below. I think about what she's going to do when she's old, and has to retire from this round the clock stream of women who pour through her door. When I ask her, she gives me a half smile, sticks her hands in the pockets of a sweater that only has one elbow, shrugs, and points to a picture her daughter drew when she was still married to her husband. The black tornado and huddled brown stick figures don't remind me of grade school art.

Now I notice a scar below her right eyebrow whose crooked path disappears into her hairline. I see dusty light shining onto a jagged line above her left eye, there's tension in her squared shoulders, but the anxiety she tells me she used to live with, that's gone from her gaze, hopefully for good. Morning comes early, with much to be done, so bedtime is usually at nine. People drag the yoga mats out, place them as close to, or as far away from others as they can, depending on what the weather is like. Heating and cooling are unreliable, but complaining is mostly done by children who are too young to realize that safety isn't always the comfortable temperature they wish it was. Dust hangs in the air after bedding is distributed. Gradually it settles, creating a fine film which reminds me that my reclaimed flooring really needs to be swept.