If you're still hungry after this, you're doing something wrong.

  • 1 cup (8 ounces) milk - I use whole organic raw milk, although I have also substituted dairy free varieties
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) roasted or canned pumpkin/cooked butternut squash
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 2 egg yolks - whole eggs may also be used
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream
  • 1/8 cup (1 ounce) blackstrap molasses 
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, you may also scrape out a vanilla bean if you're a culinary badass
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, or equivalent amount of grated ginger, squeezed to extract the juice
  • Grade B Maple syrup - to taste
  • Optional, yet nice additions are: ground allspice, Chinese Five Spice powder, ground cloves, nutmeg, and freshly whipped cream

Add ingredients to your blender if you own one. If you do not own a blender, this could probably be made using a hand mixer. If you do not own either of those, get creative in your kitchen. Try using a potato masher or a fork to reduce the squash/pumpkin to a pulpy mass, add the banana, egg yolks, molasses, syrup, vanilla, and spices before whipping those ingedients into the milk and cream.

The final product should smell faintly of pumpkin pie, be frothy, cool, and topped with liberal amounts of whipped cream dusted with your choice of seasonings. If dairy based smoothies are not your thing, you could also fix a cup of chai tea to use as your base, or if you're looking for a hot beverage to enjoy with your cool treat, serve that along with your smoothie.

Certain people have an aversion to consuming raw eggs and milk. I personally don't have a problem with either one, and can actually digest the raw versions better than the cooked varieties, however YMMV. These smoothies are loaded with what I feel are the good types of fats, and minimally processed sweeteners. I have frozen them with limited success, and my children have finally come to terms with the idea that sometimes, there is no actual pumpkin in their pumpkin smoothies.

This is my conglomeration of several recipes I found online, feel free to experiment with various combinations of your available fall harvest ingredients.

Enjoy!