Work, whatever.

The elevator took me up four floors to find a boy who wasn't there. Down again and elevator opened on ground floor where there was the boy I was after, waiting to pounce me. Dan is a good hugger, his shoulders are strong and he waltzed me around.

Adrienne Rich poetry reading at Emory.
She read for over an hour. In between poems there a silence in which you could hear people letting out their breath. When she was done, we all stood up without waiting to see if anyone else was going to stand up. It was understood. All she had brought us were her words, and that was enormous, and there was a way to thank her thunderously, and we did.

Good to see beautiful Laura Currey. She says Pebbles has gone schizophrenic, as in, not a joke, it runs in her family anyway and Paul went to see her and she hadn't bathed or eaten in days and is hallucinating and things are looking not so good. I am afraid to tell edebroux about it; she will just worry from across the globe.

Good to see Dr. Taylor and her date, cute smiling bearded talker Lyle. I confessed to driving past her walking her dog on the way home from work one day and not stopping to talk to her. She of course said something about not questioning our impulses and stopping the car probably would have put me in mortal danger or something. She's a kook.

Good to see Dan. Back to his dorm after poetry. Up late. Scattered quick talk, nothing in too much depth, but important things. People who can't make room for other people. Holding grudges. Cheating in high school. Words. Grad school, Douglas Coupland, learning to make yourself open to true conversation, what am I going to do with my life? When really, everything we were saying was it's been too long. you have good things to say. let's be friends again.