"The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn."           

"Don't burn bridges." And the overused saying goes on.

It is not surprising that this adage has been around for as long as we can remember because indeed, our relationships with others are like bridges that take us from one place to another. When we "burn our bridges", we destroy our relationships and it is difficult to go back. But with this comes a tough lesson. (All is not about forever and compromise, you know.) I learned, from firsthand experience, that there are times when we have to burn bridges and let go of people, of lovers and friends, no matter how hard it might seem. Believe me, it's going to hurt... and moving on without looking back is even harder. It's like expecting the sun not to shine. There will always come a point in your life when you'd look back and miss the times and feel the loss. Loss of friendship, loss of hope, loss of love, of all things cherished. But just when you thought the rain would never stop, the sun comes up and you'd be surprised at what your heart can take, or how much your mind can offload and forget. And at that same point, you will realize that you made the right decision because you can truthfully say to yourself, "It doesn't hurt anymore. It's all water under the bridge!"....

...and finally for the first time, you can sleep soundly at night...

"Sometimes you get the best light from a  burning bridge."