Hidden by darkness.
Guarded by witches
Discovered by a boy.
Stolen by a king.
Whoever owns it will rule the world.
Or destroy it.



The Black Cauldron
Disney's 25th Animated Feature

Approx. Running Time: 80 mins
Rated: PG

In the mystical land of Prydain, a young boy named Taran, who dreams of a future as an invincible warrior, finds himself leading a real-life quest. In a race against the evil Horned King, Taran must be the first to find the mysterious Black Cauldron -- or the Horned King will unleash its power and take over the world. With the help of a magic sword, an enchanting princess, an adorable clairvoyant pig, and a funny little furry creature named Gurgi, Taran overcomes winged dragons, the King’s monstrous henchmen, three batty witches, and more -- and learns nothing is as powerful as courage and friendship.

This movie is one of my favorite Disney creations. It shows the darker side of animation, and most children are frightened by the characters. Some of us older kids are too, when no one else is looking.

Characters

  • Taran -- Taran is an assistant Pig Keeper and ward of Dallben who wathches over Henwen The Psychic Pig. Taran who wants to be a warrior is sent to look after Henwen when The Horned King is searching for her.
  • Princess Eilonwy -- Princess Eilonwy was first seen in The Horned Kings Dungeon. She, along with her Magic Bauble, helped Taran and Fflewdur Fflam escape from the dungeon, chase after Henwen, and find The Black Cauldron.
  • Henwen -- Henwen is a psychic pig who can make reflections turn into visions of the future. Henwen is kept and taken care of by Dallben and his assistant Taran.
  • Gurgi -- Gurgi was found in the forest by Taran after stealing Taran's apple and taking a bite out of it.
  • Fflewdur Fflam -- Fflewdur Fflam is a traveling minstrel who plays the Harp. He has an unsual problem with his harp; whenerver he tells a lie, a string breaks.
  • The Horned King -- the evil creature who plans to take over the world.