Modifications to make a vehicle less susceptible to attack.

  • Armor plating: Old-school heavy steel plate should be avoided because it impedes performance. Better choices are a lighter Kevlar, aluminum oxide ballistic ceramic tiles, and laminated nylon. The door panels, trunk, floor, roof, and engine compartment should be hardened; the floor is particularly important for protection against bombs and grenades that detonate underneath the vehicle. The windows should be tinted, and made of bullet- and blast-resistant glass.
  • "Run-flat" self-sealing tires should be installed for their ability to be driven on at high speeds, as should fuel cells for protection against fire.
  • Reinforced bumpers should be installed on the front and rear of the vehicle, primarily for ramming other vehicles.
  • Other modifications can be done, e.g. oil slicks, smoke screens, or caltrops, although oil slicks are so cliche :-) High-intensity lights can be installed on the back of the vehicle. A strobe may disrupt the aim of a sniper. Tear-gas dispensers may be added. The lower body moldings can be sharpened so that they can't be grabbed with the purpose of tipping over the vehicle. A closed AC system can be added for protection against CS gas (when driving through a riot) or a gas attack.

Of course, a complete check procedure should be followed after a vehicle has been sitting. But that's another node.